Tuesday, December 06, 2011

"Mother's Ribbons" poem by Abigail Alexis~

~For my Mother who always did the best she knew how~

My mother was blissful, the day I was born,
and out of her hair, came the ribbon she'd worn,
Tied to a rattle, it stayed while I grew,
Looking so pretty, all silky, and new...

When I began walking, my mom sewed a dress,
and under the collar, in a bow, on the breast,
She attached that silk ribbon, no longer brand new,
But still my pride, all pretty and blue.

School days came, as I had grown tall,
I wanted my ribbon, but the dress was too small,
Mother lovingly snipped my ribbon, in two,
And attached each to it's own shoe.

To many new shoes, my ribbons I tied,
And then to my new bike, I was given to ride,
As I'd pedal faster, my ribbon would whirl,
tied to the handle bars, the blue silk would twirl.

College passed quickly..., and I met a boy,
Who's happiness was my every joy,
Before I knew it, I was his shy bride,
Wearing my ribbons, as I stood at his side.

When I became Mom, of not one, but two,
Twins opened their eyes, all silky and blue,
The love of a mother, two fold, had been passed,
And I knew, Mother's ribbons, in their souls... had been cast.

2 comments:

Gargi said...

I have a lump in my throat :)

Abigail Alexis~ said...

Hi Gargi, sorry for the late reply. You comments were very sweet and touching. May I ask how you found me? I don't visit people blogs much at all for quite some time, so people don't usually visit my blog. I post from time to time, but most my comments are radom spams wich I rarely even take the time to delet. My blog has become like an over grown garden. Thank you for noticing it's beauty through all the weeds. abbeys.garden@gmail.com (abbey)